Recipe: Walnut + Chocolate Meringue Torte
Seriously easy twist on Pavlova
If you are a bit over ‘The Christmas Pav’ then try this simple yet five-star recipe. It’s a hit with the team here at Gourmet Dinner Service, a special treat that Janel whips up for all our staff birthdays. And now we’ve twisted her arm into sharing her secret recipe with you!
This lavish-tasting torte will make an impact on your guests and give your local patisserie a run for their money. The best thing is that it’s a no-fail recipe with just a few ingredients and can be in the oven in less than 20 minutes. It’s so much less work than a Pavlova and will have your guests requesting seconds!
180g walnuts, finely chopped
180g dark chocolate bits
1 tablespoons cocoa powder
6 egg whites
2/3 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup plain flour
Icing sugar or cocoa for dusting top of torte
Double thick cream
Colourful berries or fruit of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line 23 cm spring form pan with baking paper.
2. Combine walnuts, chocolate, cocoa and flour. Mix to combine.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff, then gradually add in the sugar, beating well after each addition.
4. Gently fold in the dry ingredients.
5. Spoon mixture into cake tin.
6. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
7. Allow to cool completely.
Note: You can substitute other nuts (such as almonds or hazelnuts) or use a combination of whatever nuts you have available.