Recipe: Mushy Green Peas
Simple, tasty, healthy!
The humble green pea is rather under-rated as a vegetable but this is truly unfair, as peas are impressively high in fibre and protein, rich in powerful antioxidants, all while being low in calories.
Make peas the hero of the plate with this delicious side dish that will wow the family and guests alike. What’s even better is that this mushy green peas recipe is dead simple to make and you can have it ready in a matter of minutes. The secret is to cook the peas until they are just soft but still a beautiful and appealing bright green colour.
Pairs perfectly with pies, such as our Guinness Beef Pie or Chicken + leek pie. Alternatively, you can match it with a range of barbequed or roasted meat for some lovely bright colour on the plate. Why not give this mushy green peas recipe a go with our Chicken saltimbocca w preserved lemon butter?
Mushy Green Peas Recipe
- Small bag of frozen peas
- Sprigs of mint
- Splash of lemon juice (approx 1 tablespoon)
- Dob of butter (approx 1 tablespoon)
- Cook the peas in water or the microwave (don’t overcook – they should be bright green).
- Blend or mash all the ingredients together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Voila – ready to eat and delicious!