Recipe: Mango & Roasted Chilli Salsa
It’s mango season, so they’re in plentiful supply right now and the price is right. So get along to your local green grocer and buy a whole tray!
This mango salsa is easy to make and the perfect taste of Summer. It’s an all-rounder that works equally well with Asian or Mexican flavours; stands alone as a dipping condiment with toasted flatbreads or corn chips. Plus is a delicious topper to seafoods and BBQ’d meats too. So fresh, tangy and versatile!
Mango & Roasted Chilli Salsa marries well with the following items on the Gourmet Dinner Service Menu:
4 fresh red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
1 small red onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large mango, peeled and diced
1 lebanese cucumber, - peeled and diced
Juice of 1 lime
Salt/Pepper to taste
1. Combine chilli, red onion and olive oil in shallow baking dish.
2. Bake at 180C for approx. 15 mins or until softened (stir twice during cooking time).
3. Allow to cool.
4. In a separate bowl, combine mango, cucumber, lime juice and coriander.
5. Gently stir together the cooled chilli mix and the mango mix. Season to taste.
6. Stand for 1 hour before serving to allow flavours to develop.
Makes approx. 1½ cups.
Note that firmer, less-ripe mangoes are preferable for this recipe (as they hold their diced shape better and do not go mushy).