Recipe: Red Wine & Mushroom Sauce
Winter’s coming and it’s the time for some scrumptious and intensely satisfying comfort food. Here’s the perfect, restaurant-quality red wine and mushroom sauce you can whip up to enjoy alone or to impress guests at your next dinner party. As with all our recipes, it’s easy and impossible to stuff up!
Sizzle up your own slice of beef and smother in this velvety rich creation – your steak with mushrooms and red wine sauce will rival even the best steakhouse in town. For the easy solution, you can pair it with our tasty side dishes such as Roast Kipfler Potatoes, Sweet Potato Mash, Cauliflower Gratin or Broccoli with Garlic Oil.
Almost any type of mushrooms will do for this recipe and you can also add a splosh of cream to take the decadence up another notch.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- 100g butter
- 500ml red wine
- 200ml good quality veal or beef stock
- 500g Swiss mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoons quince paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onion and garlic in butter for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Pour in red wine and stock.
- Add mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and reduce liquid to half.
- Add quince paste.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes.