Recipe: Roasted Pumpkin & Prosciutto Salad
Did you know that pumpkin is a fruit, not a vegetable? That’s because the edible part is from the seed-bearing structure of the plant. October is the perfect time to enjoy this recipe as the pumpkins still taste good (and you’ll find plenty of them around as Halloween approaches!). Plus, Springtime means fresh crunchy carrots and delicious sweet potatoes too.
Enjoy this highly nutritious salad either warm or cold. If you’re vegetarian, then replace the prosciutto with toasted pine nuts or crumbled walnuts. Fetta can also be a wonderful addition to this salad if you want to boost the protein content to make it into a meal.
- 250g sweet potato
- 250g pumpkin
- 100g baby carrots
- 200g rocket or lettuce mix
- 75g prosciutto
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup verjuice
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon seeded mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toss vegetables in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast at 180 degrees for 45 mins until well browned.
- To make dressing, place all ingredients in screw top jar and shake until well combined.
- Wash rocket leaves and arrange on serving plate.
- Top with vegetables, prosciutto and spoon over dressing.