Indian Recipes: Cucumber raita + other condiments
Add some flair to your curry night with these three simple condiments that can be made ahead of time and enjoyed alongside just about any Indian meal. We’ll show you how to quickly and simply prepare delicious cucumber raita; a salad of tomato onion and coriander; plus cardamom rice in the recipes below. These little side dishes are great for sharing with a group, will elevate the taste of your meal and dampen the heat of the curry if your tastebuds shout out to you!
Here’s a few of our most popular curries that will pair well with these condiments:
Designed to cool the palate thanks to the yoghurt, raita is the perfect accompaniment to any curry but particularly a hot curry!
- 1 Lebanese cucumber or ½ large cucumber
- 100ml natural yoghurt
- 2-4 stems of fresh mint or coriander
- Optional: finely diced spring onions and a sprinkle of cumin.
- Dice the cucumber.
- Finely chop the herbs.
- Mix the cucumber and herbs (and optional ingredients) into the natural yoghurt to serve.
Tomato, Onion + Coriander Salad
- 1 small Spanish onion
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2-3 stems coriander
- Chop onion and tomato to small dice.
- Roughly chop coriander.
- Blend together and chill.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon cardamom pods
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 5 cups water
- Heat oil in saucepan, add cardamom pods and cook for 1 minute.
- Add basmati rice and stir until lightly toasted.
- Stir in water, bring to boil, cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
Grab some naan bread too! Toast in a frypan, both sides until golden, or heat in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve warm. You can even try your hand at papadums, just follow directions on the pack and enjoy!